can't connect to Xserver (127.0.0.1) anymore

Hello

I am completely puzzled by the following:

I execute  as a regular user : xhost + 127.0.0.1
then say
su
setenv DISPLAY 127.0.0.1:0.0 (root uses tcsh shell)

Then acroread

But it does not work, that is the message
Error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0
appears.

I swore this worked after I installed knoppix 3.3 (with woody)
later I upgraded to unstable/testing but did not try this Xconnection.
Today I found out that the connection fails.

I tried various things, create a new user, using a different window
manager deleting .Xauth file etc, I am puzzled and the problem is I
need this feature very much right now in order to use some X
applications which I can only execute as a different user.

Could I downgrade to woody? That would  be a last desperate step
before the re-installation.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer