Re: Install Report --- Dell 8200

I have a Vaio GRT170 with a native 1400x1056(or something like that)
but have not found a modline that will work beyond 1280x1024. The
default X background, the little black and white dumbells, have a
moire effect at that resolution showing that it's not quite matching
the LCD pixels.

Does this sound like a difference between the nv and the nvidia
drivers?

I'm using the non-free nvidia kernel driver (that has to be compiled
by me but is thankfully supplied by Debian) in AGP mode and get a
fast full corner-to-corner screen at least.

I'd like to use the free nv driver, from an esthetic point of view. I
prefer "open" source, "free" as in freedom and all that, except I
bought their proprietary hardware so what's the problem using their
proprietary software for it? Oh well. It's not like all the buttons
and things work on this nastily proprietary Vaio.

Curt-

On Thursday 22 April 2004 10:43, Christopher De Vries was heard to
say:

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history