Re: PDA + Cell Phone

While not strictly PDA - I think the subject matter is still perfectly
relevant to this list.  Laptops need mobile connectivity too.

My experience(s) don't relate to a single device, but I would advise you
against going that route in any case - more on that later.

I've used gprs over bluetooth with my cellphone.  It worked just fine,
although it was nothing like broadband speeds - which I have apparently
become quite accustomed to.  Configuring bluetooth under linux is a little
tricky (or was at the time) just because getting BlueZ or Affix to work
well is a little confusing - a few levels you have to initiate manually
before bringing the (in my case) ppp up.  I'll be happy to help you
diagnose anything if I can remember how :)

As far as integrated device - I would advise against this because they
traditionally aren't as powerful as their separate counterparts.
Take the  nokia n-gage (which a newer model was just announced for) -
cellphone and  game system... in most opinions doesn't do either
signifigantly well.

Another device is the Danger Sidekick (Tmobile hiptop [I might have
those reversed]).  This I have to admit is a very slick device - and you
get better performance since everything is proxied and their servers do a
good job of stripping out the useless bits - but you're limited with the
usability.  You can't use the device as a modem like a normal cellphone -
if, for example, you had your laptop handy and wanted to get online with
it.  You can't use the device without a proxy - and the SDK (I believe it
was finally released) isn't much good because you can't get the program on
the phone without a bunch of hoops.

irda works fine as well, but it's a pain lining things up - bluetooth is
nice because it's low power (unlike 802.11b) and works well once devices
are paired.  Speaking of power - if you just want to talk to someone on
the phone you're burning your PDAs battery - and if you just want to use
your PDA you're burning your phones battery... nor can you just take one
with you somewhere...

  I've got a bluetooth cf card on order from amazon (ambicom)
that I'll be trying out the pda game with.  I'll let you know how well it
works if you're interested.

Sincerely,
-Martin Norland