Moving to 2.6 and wondering about wireless

I've got an old Toshiba Satellite 2805-S302 with a SMC prism base wireless
card using wlan-ng drivers running a compiled-from-source 2.4.21.[1]

I'm considering upgrading to a 2.6 debian kernel-image, but I'm not
clear what needs to be done to make sure the wireless setup survives the
upgrade.

Can someone clue me in on what might need to be done to make sure the
wireless work after the upgrade.

Anything else to be aware of with regard to the upgrade?  Can I just
install kernel-image-2.6.5-1-686 and expect sound and wireless to just
work?  And should I also be able to switch between the new kernel and my
exiting kernel?

Thanks,

[1]
I've been having some problems with the wireless lately -- card lockups.
So the hope is the upgrade might help.  I'm sure an often asked
question, but any recommendations on wireless cards would be great --
range has always been an issue with my current SMC card.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org