Re: Wireless PCMCIA

On Apr 9, 2004, at 12:10 PM, MB wrote:

If all you need is 802.11b ( 11Mb ) , then I would definitely look for one of the older (classic) orinoco/avaya/dell1150/proxim cards. They have an external antenna connector as well as an internal 2.2 dBi antenna. And they are VERY well supported under linux. You can also get them in a mini-pci form factor.

If you want 802.11g or 802.11a, then I am not sure what is supported.... I simply use 802.11b because internet connections are rarely more than 1.5Mb. 802.11g is just overkill for internet speed applications.

While I agree these are good cards, you may want to stop bragging about a "2.2 dBi" antenna. 2.2 dB of gain over an isotropic antenna isn't very good in the world of RF.

It's just barely > 0 dBd which is a much better number to use for comparison when measuring antennae performance.

In other words, if you open up the card and look at it, it's probably a half-wave dipole printed on the circuit board. The cheapest and lowest gain practical antenna that can be built that doesn't require a ground-plane.

I agree about the cards -- they're great. But do the math before bragging about that 2.2 dBi number... it's wimpy.

Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com