Woody on Amilo-D7830 (was: Re: woody-installation on Amilo-EL - Problem with Ethernet (sis900))

Good evening

I've installed Debian Woody onto an Amilo-D.
I didn't use tasksel nor dselect, but installed the base system, X, Wmaker
and Synaptic, as suggested by C. De Young (The Very Verbose Debian 3
installation walkthrough). Other packages were installed as needed.

Articles posted on this group and on other lists, have helped me a lot.

My main concern was to decrease the XP partition size (now it is only 15Gb,
on a 60 Gb disk) without erasing my data. This was achieved with the help of
the Partboot for USB floppy drives (Partboot-usb) from Toru Shiono
(tshiono@cv.sony.co.jp).
Everything ran straight Ok (just had to rtfm).

Now I can work with Linux, but still 4 things need to be done:

- install the 2.6.4 kernel (Woody is 2.2.x), for ACPI support.
- make X support the Radeon 9000 hardware (I've only managed to use the fb
driver), maybe (surely?? ;-) by installing a more recent XFree
- make the modem work smart link.
- get a Cannon i350 (usb) printer driver as soon as available (I didn't
check linux support for it)

Ah, yes, also have to configure the sound support. I didn't manage to
make Alsa work (failed to load the output module when launching
alsaplayer for example).

After that I will be able to run in a full linux environment. XP will stay
there for my wife, but I'm planning a little joke for her..

BTW, lots of people (not on the net) told me that Debian is very harsh to
install, but I found it a lot easier than some other distribs, at least on
my pretty recent hardware.

BTW2, for people having a DVD reader, I would suggest to install the Debian
Woody from a DVD, not CDs. I got the 7 CD 'kit', and this reminds me the
glorious time of CDrom-less DOS based PCs, where some compilers or other
productivity softwares turned you into a bread toaster.

Thanks again for your help and advices provided here.

--
Jean Buchet
jean.buchet@libertysurf.fr