Re: network files systems

Quoting Lars Bjarby (laban@krakpot.net):
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:26:40PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> > unison or rsync maybe what you are looking at.
> >

> I can personally recommend using unison. I've been using it for a
> couple of months to sync my home dir at school with my laptop. There
> is also a windows port of it which is nice if you dualboot. I sync via
> SSH but it is possible to sync against any directory etc...
>
> if you're syncing with a FAT-partition you might want to check out the
> "-ignorecase" switch..otherwise you might get douplicates of some
> files/dirs.

I agree, unison and rsync are the best. Use unison for when you want
directories to be identical, and rsync when you want to sync one way
only. You can configure both of them to use ssh, and if you use ssh keys
along with ssh-agent, syncing could be done automatically (say in a cron
job, or perhaps a post-up clause in the network/interfaces file).

The possibilities are endless!

Although neither of these solutions are network file systems, they are
nearly ideal for keeping laptops in sync, and are much less hassle to
set up than things like coda or intermezzo.

matt

--
Matt Foster
mattfoster@clara.co.uk | ee1mpf@bath.ac.uk