Re: network files systems

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 04:20:43PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Hi, I have a small LAN at home, and I have some shared disks using NFS.
>
> But it becomes harder with my laptop, since when i'm not on the LAN, NFS
> partitions won't work. moreover, i would like to have some 'offline'
> feature, allowing me to use a cache of the 'NFS' volume and to commit
> the changes when i go back online.
>
> I heard coda was the answer, but the project seems to be abandonware,
> does someone has a better solution ?
unison or rsync maybe what you are looking at.

I looked into debian-user archive etc and I found few tools:

8.4 Differential backup and data synchronization

   Differential backup and data synchronization can be implemented with
   several methods:
     * rcs: backup and history, text-only

     * rdiff-backup: backup and history. symlink OK.

     * pdumpfs: backup and history within a filesystem. symlink OK

     * rsync: 1-way synchronization

     * unison: 2-way synchronization

     * cvs: multi-way synchronization with server backup and history,
       text-only, mature. See Concurrent Versions System (CVS), Section
       12.1.

     * arch: multi-way synchronization with server backup and history, no
       such thing as a "working directory".

I only used CVS extensively.

More on these by installing debian-reference-en from testing/unstable.