Re: pppd gateway/software suspend

Alessandro Speranza wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Alessandro Speranza wrote:

However, I just noticed that on my /etc/netenv/uliss-home entry I've got
an entry
export GATEWAY=127.0.0.1
which is probably what I don't want in the first place. I'll comment that
out, and see if that works.

OK, we're getting somewhere :-)

However, problem stays when I try to reconnect to the usual network after, say, closing pppd connection. Then I run netenv again (I haven't given up on it yet Dan! :) and my /etc/network/interfaces is linked to # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
while the netenv setting is
# Networkenvironment: netask
export NETMASK=255.255.255.0

That's still screwy. That's not a netmask that's going to get you to the Internet.

everything looks consistent all right? And in fact, the route table appears
Kernel IP routing table
150.217.140.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         150.217.140.1   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

however, I don't get on the net. Well, I do, but I only reach the computer on the next desk, not quite far enough. Only if I unload the ethernet card module, reload, and run ifconfig eth0 up

And does the route table look the same? I doubt it. This says to me, route anything not directed to 150.217.140.* to 150.217.140.1 - then those packets, and anything explicitly directed to 140.217.140.* are routed to 0.0.0.0. Drop the first route and see what happens.

Anyway, I completely agree with Daniel. You can do practically everything you need just with ifupdown. The odd thing that needs a little more work works well with whereami. ifupdown-roaming (unless that was the old name...) is useful too. netenv is just too clunky for my taste.
--
derek