Re: pppd gateway/software suspend

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Alessandro Speranza wrote:

> However, I just noticed that on my /etc/netenv/uliss-home entry I've got
> an entry
> export GATEWAY=127.0.0.1
> which is probably what I don't want in the first place. I'll comment that
> out, and see if that works.

All right, problem solved. Deleting that gateway entry now does not set
any default gateway and the defaultroute option does its job.

However, problem stays when I try to reconnect to the usual network after,
say, closing pppd connection. Then I run netenv again (I haven't given up
on  it yet Dan! :) and my /etc/network/interfaces is linked to
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static
        address 150.217.140.158
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 150.217.140.1
        network 150.217.140.0
        broadcast 150.217.140.255

while the netenv setting is

# Networkenvironment: netask
netenv_id=Polo_static_net
export STATIC_POSTFIX=Polo
export IPADDR=150.217.140.158
#export NETWORK=150.217.140.0
export NETMASK=255.255.255.0
export BROADCAST=150.217.140.255
export GATEWAY=150.217.140.1
#export DNS_1=150.217.33.11
NETENV_SCRIPT=/etc/netenv/netenv_setup
export PROFILE=Polo

everything looks consistent all right? And in fact, the route table
appears

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
150.217.140.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         150.217.140.1   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

however, I don't get on the net. Well, I do, but I only reach the
computer on the next desk, not quite far enough. Only if I unload the
ethernet card module, reload, and run
ifconfig eth0 up
I get everything up and running again...I mean, isn't that weird?
Is it possible that netenv (or at least the testing version of it, as I
don't remember I had that many problems with stable) somehow upsets the
whole eth0 interface and the only thing to do is stop and restart from the
beginning? Has anybody ever had problems with that?

Main problem solved anyway, since it doesn't happen very often I'm in two
different environments at the same time and I usually choose wich
environment I'm in at boot time.

	Thanks a lot
		Ale