Re: XFree86 and NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

At last, I found the documentation suggested by Mr. Tartler below. One
of the things not included in Mr. Tartler's selection from the text is
that the "TLS libraries" cannot be linked under 2.4, but must be linked
under 2.6.
file:/usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx/README.Debian
---Begin Excerpt---
Likewise, not having these libraries installed under 2.6.x
will prevent X from starting at all.

Simple Explanation:
To switch back and forth between the two systems simply run:

      dpkg-reconfigure -plow nvidia-glx
---End Excerpt---

Sure enough, reconfiguring under 2.6.3, it installed the links to the
libraries, and I am now typing this note while running 2.6.3.

My thanks to the Laptop list, at last everything is working. The
transition from 2.4 to 2.6 is not absolutely smooth, but I guess on
this Vaio with all its twisted hardware nothing is actually smooth,
just really bitchen fast when it does work.

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history