Re: What is ACPI, exactly?

Hello,

http://www.acpi.info
Specs..
http://acpi.sf.net
Linux implementation...

> (something about backlight not going off)

You can control dpms with a script when suspend to ram is called to manually
turn off the back light. For example in X something like this:
http://www.patoche.org/LTT/screen/00000042.html

> I've even use iasl to dump and test compile the aml. No errors no
> warnings. So I guess, My DSDT is fine.

>From my understanding, this does not mean that your DSDT is fine unless you
actually make changes and compile the changes into a new kernel.

Otherwise the kernel will use the DSDT from the bios.

> But, my head already got used to the term Power Management as a way for
> me to have (at least) suspend to work on my machine.
>
> Which, till now, I can't get ACPI to suspend nicely.
> Suspend to RAM  don't put my backlight off. I tried Suspend-to-Disk
> feature, it was nice for a couple of time. Until I realize it doesn't
> update hwclock where it should.

I am not familiar with the 2.6 series suspend to disk functionality, but I
used swsusp.sf.net (which is the source of the stock 2.6 kernel code I
think) and patched a 2.4.24 kernel, enabled it in the kernel config and
compiled it. It provided for updating of hwclock. You may need to do a
little fiddling (swsusp config files) to get the clock set right. Maybe the
2.6.x stock code has similar config files.

> One other thing, what is ECDT?

Well, a little googling and I found some .ppt files on acpi.info that when
viewed as html indicated obscurely that ecdt is "e. c. description tables"

> I got these messages about it:
> ACPI: Could not use ECDT

See http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0301.1/1482.html
This may simply be a kernel issue with your laptop version. T30 means IBM
Thinkpad x30 I am guessing. Maybe if you search around more you can find
more updated status on this issue.

> I really like ACPI for now at least. Cause it doesn't made my fan
> turning around all the time as I have with APM. But I hate to turn off
> my laptop everytime I went around. Feels like desknote.
>
> Anyone have anything for me?

Make sure that you are using fresh kernel source, with fresh acpi patches
and maybe consider the swsusp patch mentioned above.

Also, if you have the time to figure out DSDT writing/fixing, please maybe
write a little howto up, cause when I took a look it looked pretty cryptic.

Maybe mention what kernel version you are using and what hardware you are
using.

Alex Martin
http://www.rettc.com