Re: What is ACPI, exactly?

Dear Alex

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 11:02, Alex Martin wrote:
> You can control dpms with a script when suspend to ram is called to manually
> turn off the back light. For example in X something like this:
> http://www.patoche.org/LTT/screen/00000042.html

How exactly I use it?
I've tried xset dpms force standby, but the backlight still not off. At
least not the same as apm suspend gave me.

> Otherwise the kernel will use the DSDT from the bios.

I see.
Gotta look further in this.
But is that right that DSDT has nothing to do with ACPI suspend? (to mem
not standby).

> I am not familiar with the 2.6 series suspend to disk functionality, but I
> used swsusp.sf.net (which is the source of the stock 2.6 kernel code I
> think) and patched a 2.4.24 kernel, enabled it in the kernel config and
> compiled it. It provided for updating of hwclock. You may need to do a
> little fiddling (swsusp config files) to get the clock set right. Maybe the
> 2.6.x stock code has similar config files.

I tried swsusp.
But it does not works for my 2.6.4 vanilla kernel or 2.6.3 Debian
Kernel. Something about cannot find /proc/swsusp (I forget exact path)
file.

Any clue?

> Maybe mention what kernel version you are using and what hardware you are
> using.

IBM Thinkpad T30.
Needs lspci -v -v -v output?

TIA.