Re: Setting permissions

Incoming from Aswin Venkat:

> One problem that i've been noticing is that i cannot get emacs
> to auto backup unless i open the emacs session in sudo mode. If i open

Could it be not that it cannot auto backup, but that you've TOLD it
not to auto backup, via emacs' config file?  Try "emacs -q
filename".  That will tell it to not load emacs' init file.

To tell the truth, I've always turned this off.  I can't remember the
last time I saw emacs crash, or the machine it was running on.  I
have:

   (setq make-backup-files nil)

in my ~/.gnu-emacs (which is called by ~/.emacs).  If you find that in
either of those files, comment it out and emacs will do backups.

- -