Re: Setting permissions

Quoting s. keeling (keeling@spots.ab.ca):
> Incoming from Aswin Venkat:
> >
> > One problem that i've been noticing is that i cannot get emacs
> > to auto backup unless i open the emacs session in sudo mode. If i open
>
> Could it be not that it cannot auto backup, but that you've TOLD it
> not to auto backup, via emacs' config file?  Try "emacs -q
> filename".  That will tell it to not load emacs' init file.
>
> To tell the truth, I've always turned this off.  I can't remember the
> last time I saw emacs crash, or the machine it was running on.  I
> have:
>
>    (setq make-backup-files nil)
>
> in my ~/.gnu-emacs (which is called by ~/.emacs).  If you find that in
> either of those files, comment it out and emacs will do backups.

This may not help at all, but then again it may...

Anyway, I use vim as my default editor, and I had a similar problem
writing .viminfo (where vim stores info like command history, and
bookmarks). The problem was that the file was created during a sudo
session, and therefore root owned. So, if the backup file (or whatever
it is) is root owned, you might need to chmod it before you can access
it.

HTH,

matt

--