Re: Screen problems

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:20:09AM +0100, dmu2201 wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I'm trying to install Debian on my Laptop as I have become very happy
> for it on my home computer, but it seems that installing debian on a
> laptop isn't such a trivial task as I first thougt.
> When the Debian CD is inserted (3.0r1) and I boot my laptop the first
> debian screen that appears, the one where you have to select which
> kernel you have to install, everything looks fine as it is supposed to
> do but when I proceed with the installation, either by just pressing
> <enter> or by typing bf24 <enter>, the picture is off center, so that I
> can't see the bottom 3-4 cm and the left 2-3cm of the picture, which is
> very annoying during the installationsprocess... I first thought that
> this was mere an installation problem, so I continued as "normal" and
> got debian installed only to discover that the problem was persistent.
> Can I do anything to fix my picture so that it is centered?! I'm
> currently running a Redhat 8.0 so I can see that it is using the driver
> sis for my graphics card and everything works fine here.

Though I am not really sure what the cause of the problem is
(you didn't write what laptop modem it is, and whether you have
configured framebuffer) it might help to try this (I have
tried to order the remedies with highest chance first):

- check the BIOS for display settings, often (older) Toshiba laptops
  behave like this
- either using framebuffer, e.g. using a Kernel with framebuffer
  support and a boot option like vga=791, for details
  see the FrameBuffer-HOWTO http://tldp.org/
- or disabling framebuffer, e.g. using a boot option like
  vga=normal
- check if there are vga and video boot options (grub, lilo) try
  to disable them at least partly, look for options like ywrap, etc.
- use the kernel boot parameter 'video=vga16:off'.
- as a workaround often it is possible to switch to a second console
  e.g. <ALT>+<F2> , because this effect is often only related
  to the first console
- if none of the above helps, you may try to run a start-up-script,
  which contains the `clear' command
- use `reset'
- issue the command  `resize' to get the correct screen size to system.

  Werner

--
|=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
|=| <wehe at tuxmobil.org>     T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86