Some notes about woody on Omnibook XE3

Hi all,

I read docs about Linux on HP Omnibook X3E (best one: http://homex.subnet.at/~max/comp-05_hp-omnibook-xe3.shtml. Great! Thanks to author.)

I installed woody on a X3E(f) and I have few notes to public, hoping they can be useful:

ACPI vs/ APM
============
    My laptop has ACPI features; so I recompiled kernel 2.4.18 with ACPI support (and APM as a module); I then tried to use acpi (obviously not loading the APM module); /proc/acpi dir showed right values, but KDE applet need APM and did't work with ACPI.
    If I boot with "acpi=off" kernel parameter and I insmod apm.o, KDE shows a wrong battery status (it seems always plugged to power line).
    I compiled the "omnibook kernel module" (see previous link for info), then I booted with "apci=off" and insmodded omnibook.o with "apmemu=yes"; it didn't solve the problem.
    As a workaround, I use both acpi and omnibook module with "apmemu=yes". (Do not insmod apm.o); KDE works, /proc/acpi and /proc/apm are ok; note the message "apm: overridden by ACPI". Some other ACPI features are ok (i.e. pressing power button starts "init 0"), but not all (suspend mode doesn't work).

"Web keyboard"
==============
    The omnibook kernel module let you use "web" buttons for launching browser, mail client, volume control,...; just install hotkeys package and create a new definition file based on scancodes associated with each button (but suspend button has no scancode). Some problem using VMware; the workaround documented in the package is not fully functional.

HP DiagTools partition
======================
    If you did not erase the first partition on /dev/hda, you should be able to use HP Diagnostic Tools pressing F10 on boot.
    As this partition is marked of type "IBM Hybernation", LILO is not able to boot it (or, better: LILO can boot MSDOS on /dev/hda1, but DOS seems to hang. It's DOS fault, non LILO's). Changing type to "DOS - FAT16" is the solution, but you will not able to use F10...
    I messed up with several LILO options with no better result.

IrDA
====
    ? not tried...

X Window System
    Chipset is Intel i803. X works correctly (in 16bit colour mode) with "vesa" driver, best with "fbdev". Not with "i801".

Sound, Network adapter,...
    See link above. All is ok.

Comment from Omnibook Debian users will be welcome.

Piero Furiesi