Re: Synaptics in 2.6.X

"Filipe Santa-Clara" <santa.clara@netcabo.pt> writes:

>> If that is ok I think you need to install the Synaptics driver for XFree
>> from http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html,
>> download version 0.12.3 and follow the instructions in INSTALL.
>>
>> Jürgen
>
> Yes, I think my touchpad is detected. dmesg gives me:
>
> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
> Firmware: 4.2
> Sensor: 8
> new absolute packet format
> input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
>
> I've already tried to install the driver you mentioned,
> synaptics-0.12.3.tar.bz2. The problem is, when I do "make" the compilation
> fails, lots of compilation errors!!!! Don't know why...

Now that you say it I remember I had them, too, it has trouble compiling
the synclient program due to missing X11 header files
(I can't install them due to version mismatch).

Either you can try to install these (in Debian it's package xlibs-dev I think).
Try installing them first, or just make the driver with

% make synaptics_drv.o

and copy it to your other X11 drivers.
For me they are in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input, there should be
a lot of other *_drv.o there, for example mouse_drv.o .

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/