Re: inspiron 5150 and 2.4.24 kernel

On Monday 26 January 2004 09:17, Dirk Reiss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have an Inspiron 5150 and had 2.4.24 running some time ago. ACPI did
> not work properly, even with the acpi-patch applied. For
> usb-mouse-support, i used discover and it worked all fine (assuming that
> you have enabled usb-support and loaded all necessary modules).

I have acpi working fine with home made 2.4.22. Suspend does not work since I
didn't apply swususp patch. USB works fine, too. It seems like something
changed in kernel code after 2.4.23 version that this specific laptop model
doesn't like.

> Meanwhile, i upgraded my bios to the latest Dell-version, and i fear
> that something went wrong with the dsdt in that version as the new
> kernel (2.6.1) doesn't read the performance-states correctly.  After
> all, i got acpi (or cpufreq) working with 2.6.1 and cpufreqd. When not
> using multimedia-stuff extensively, i got a battery-runtime of
> approximately 4 hours which is longer than under windows.

Could you please send me your config-2.6.1 file (if it's not too much to ask)?
I'd like to try to compile 2.6 kernel. With debian precompiled 2.6 kernel I
experience exactly the same problems as with >=2.4.23 ones.

> For further questions, don't hesitate to contact me.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Dirk
>
> PS: In case you do not upgrade and get 2.6.1 working, it would be nice
> to inform me if the performance-states are read correctly.

Could you explain me what exactly do you mean by "read performance-states"?
I'd be happy to have a look and let you know.

Thanks,
Slaven

> slaven peles wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | Did anybody manage to compile a working 2.4.24 kernel for Inspiron
>
> 5150? As of
>
> | version 2.4.23 I was not able to compile kernel and have acpi and usb
>
> to work
>
> | properly. USB mouse doesn't work at all, and processor fan works at
>
> highest
>
> | speed all the time. I tried with my own kernels and debian precompiled
>
> ones,
>
> | but the same problem persists. Kernel 2.4.22 works perfectly.
> |
> | Another thing -- my BIOS is A01, and Dell suggests upgrading to A29 or
> | something version. I've read some reports that BIOS upgrade affects linux
> | performance badly. Does anybody have experience with this for Inspiron
5150?