Re: Debian vs... ? (was RE: powerbook and debian)

Hello Stephanie,

Here are some ideas you might use.

Debian Testing, can use a 2.6.x kernel, today. I do  not believe,
but I'm not certain, that RH does not TODAY have 2.6.x kernels
available. What's important about 2.6.x ?
   a. Security. Russell Coker's work on the NSA's SElinux code
       is going to be the basis for excellent security. OpenBSD
       has really tight security, but, it's not very newbie friendly,
       some would say 'the_rat' culture only attracts those with
       elite skills....
   b. Lots of embedded devices will build out much easier from sources
       as the uClinux and many other code advancements are available
   c. (hopefully transparent) distributed processing via OpenMosix
       across heterogenous processors and retworked resources,is the
       future for business desiring to minimize their equipment costs,
       while simultaneously ensuring redundancy of resources, and
       all priority tasks are running and not block in resouce_waiting.
   d.  video4linux simple the coolest way for people to implement
        all sorts of video, including Mpeg4_part10.(aka h.264)..
   e. ALSA (I've gotta a pal that putting 50,000 watts of
       custom built professional audio gear on this bad_boy..
       A Mixxx on  a Debian protable, and you have a DJ
       abilities he calls 'sonic armageddon'
   f.  just to name a few that have me totally excited. Debian is the best
       distro to work/implement the newest and coolest things on
       thanks to russell, really tight linux security is now possible on
       2.6.x kernels, and in the near future, their (should) will be
       interface tools that make excellent security, almost easy.

Note, most of what I have mentioned above is possible, with most
forms of linux on 2.4.x kernels, with lots of patches and hacks. Debian
makes all of this fun and stimulating.

Another approach to take, is let the others use RedHat. You use Debian.
Let them waist time and money. You can find a really good Debian consultant
to help yourself(if you need it. I'm guessing you do not really need help).
You run more (debian)  servers and features that they do not have
running or 'happy' on RH. Competition, which is healthy, is over....

It all really depends on what your organization needs. Find the weaknesses
in Redhat, and fix them with Debian, or just listen to the coffee break
complainers, and set up a solution on a Debian server or system.

Debian Installer-2  is almost a nice package.....

For the SOHO, here is a nice, but new effort on KDE-debian
They are going to build a distro CD speciifically for SOHO needs:
http://www.produktivit.com/kde-debian-soho-linux.html

goodluck,
James

Provost, Stephane wrote:

Hi everybody,

This might be off-topic, but Yves started it :)

We're evaluating a professional platform that can run enterprise
applications. We need reliability, good threading, responsiveness,
stability, performance, but also easy management (if there's such a thing)
and good support.

Sadly, the rest of the team is completely going the RedHat way, because...
it's supported. They have a yearly maintenance fee to help you out to do
stuff. What this stuff is, I don't know, probably things that you don't know
if you're not a linux/RedHat export.

I am _definitely_ a debian fan and my gut feeling tells me it's better than
RH for sure. I really don't like the way RH charges you, the way it
installs, the way it's maintained... You get the idea.

So could anybody give serious reasons as to why RH is bad, Debian is better
? I've looked on Google but I didn't find a real serious report.

Thanks a lot !

--Stéphane