Re: questions on ACPI

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:02:04AM +0100, Lukasz Wiechec wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I've just compiled 2.6.1 and switched onto ACPI from APM. 'acpid' is
> working properly, events get recognized well. I noticed, however, that
> while using APM, I was able to "suspend" my laptop by pressing "suspend"
> button. It was working well, but it seems that in ACPI this is not
> implemented (I presume I need to implement it by myself).

At first, kill acpid, then do a cat /proc/acpi/events
Press the power button, or sleep button, do some ac plugging, unplugging,
etc.  If some of those events are not properly reported, then write to
the ACPI develloper ML list..

If that work, you may have to instruct how acpid(8) will react for an
event.  Look at /etc/acpi (on a debian system).

PS: there may be a trouble with 'old' bios, or even newer in some kind
of compatibility issues, and I think that the correct place to ask
help is ACPI ml dev.

> Now, I was
> trying to get swsusp working (swsusp2 as it's now called in kernel
> tree), but I can't make it even suspend, not to mention restore the
> work.
> So, if anyone on the list has some good advice regarding setting up ACPI
> on the laptop to actually do some work, could he/she share it?
>
> My laptop is Compaq Armada M700.
>
> PS: is it possible to find 'cpufreqd' equivalent for Pentium II?

No.  A Pentium II can only support throttling (like any Intel compatible
up to 486 IIRC).  CPUFreq have not integrated throttling support on
i386, apart for the P4 via it's internal clock modulation.

You may have throttling support via ACPI (T-State).  Look at
/proc/acpi/processor/*/info

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.