Re: Acer TM 803 and fan noise

On 04.01.2004 05:46 Martin Röhricht wrote:
this summer I bought an Acer Travelmate 803 LMiB with a 1,6GHz Pentium M processor. Unfortunately the fan runs every few minutes for about 30 seconds with full speed which is a very noisy and annoying act. I can only help myself by pushing the processor speed down to 600MHz with
	# echo 4 > /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/performance
I compiled new kernels 2.4.23 and 2.6.0-test11 with every possible acpi and centrino-speedstep support. I installed cpudynd and cpufreqd, but the fan still turns itself on. :-/

Okay, now it seems to work. I got a program from a friend called cpuspeed which is basically a shell script that checks the temperature and sets the cpuspeed accordingly to it. At first it didn't run and claimed not to be able to write to a (nonexisting) file
	/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
As I am running kernel 2.6.1 I had to mount the sysfs filesystem with the following entry in /etc/fstab:
	none	/sys	sysfs	defaults	0	0
Important is to load the speedstep module if it is not already compiled into the kernel:
	modprobe speedstep-centrino
After that I could start cpuspeed with
	cpuspeed -d
and then my processor ran with 600MHz in idle mode
	cat /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed
and had a low temperature of about 40°C instead of 48°C when the fan is running (cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature)

So I just turned on the sysfs filesystem and maybe cpufreqd or cpudynd was missing that as well, but I think the fan was running even after my reboot with those entries in the /etc/fstab unless I started cpuspeed.

You can get the software here:
http://www.carlthompson.net/Software/CPUSpeed

Martin