Vaio Can't reboot after kernel upgrade

This morning I upgraded the kernel on my Sony Vaio PCG-Z505HS from 2.4.20
to 2.4.22. Everything went very smoothly, until I rebooted the machine --
at which point it seemed to begin fine, then tried the fsck on /dev/hda4
which holds / .  fsck says "bad superblock" and drops into single-user
mode with an instruction to fix the problem manually and reboot. Oddly
enough, though, even fdisk /dev/hda says "Unable to open /dev/hda" -- so
the block device itself isn't visible, even though that's the device that
was booted from.

My top candidate right now is that the driver for the disk (IDE, I
assume) was accidentally left out of the new kernel, or was loaded as a
model. Any other suggestions for what the problem might be are welcome.
Finally, short of reloading the OS from scratch, any advice on how I might
rescue it?

Thanks.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu