Re: Configuration problem for wireless card SUCCESS SORT OF

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Thomas wrote:

> this mail is sent using the Belkin card

;-)

> i did a manual ifconfig eth1 ipadress
> and voila! it works
> it appears that my eth1 interface is not getting assigned an ip number for
> some reason...once i fihure oyt why i think I'm home free.

At a closer look, this seems a bit fishy:

> > my /etc/network/interfaces configuration file contains the following
> > (ipadresses have been changed by me)
> >
> > # The loopback interface
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
> > installation
> > # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
> > auto eth0
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > 	address 192.168.4.1
                ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > 	netmask 255.255.255.0
> > 	network 192.168.1.0
> > 	broadcast 192.168.1.255
> > 	gateway 192.168.1.1
> >
> > eth1
> > iface eth1 inet static
> > 	adress 192.168.1.4
> > 	netmask 255.255.255.0
> > 	network 192.168.1.0
> > 	broadcast 192.168.1.255
> > 	gateway 192.168.1.1
> > 	wireless_essid someone
> > 	wireless_mode managed
> > 	wireless_enc [1] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX restricted

Do you really mean both eth0 and eth1 to be on the same network:

  192.168.1.0/24 (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0)

In that case, eth0 isn't :(
I suggest you put the 2 ifaces on different networks, if possible.

> Thanks alot for your time, patience and effort. Much appreciated, please
> let me know if i can help you in anyway.

No prob. You've done most of the job anyway. I've just been guessing ;-)

Cheers,
Cristian