SiS630 video playback with mplayer and xine sucks cpu

After reinstalling my ASUS A1300 laptop I am having big problems with video
playback.
Both mplayer (compiled locally) and xine shows very choppy video and cpu usage
is through the roof.
I am using kernel 2.6-test4 with winischhofers fbdev and the X driver. The
result is the same with kernel 2.4.22. It seems that both players uses xv
output (I tried forcing that using command line options). Audio is also
affected, even when video out is turned off it seems (but less so). It's not
just DVD playback although that gives the worst distortions, smaller files
also sucks much cpu and are almost can not be played properly.

Any ideas?

Anders

--
This email was generated using KMail from KDE 3.1.3 on Debian GNU/Linux