Re: best laptops for debian linux

Damien Solley wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 18:12, Jon wrote:
>> I'm looking to buy a laptop that can easily be set up to run debian
>> linux.  I do not need a high end graphics card, nor is there a real
>> need for a big screen.   Being light weight is not a primary factor,
>> whereas rugged reliability would be.  Can anyone suggest particular
>> brands and models that fit this description?  Top priority is that
>> debian linux can be easily installed on the machine, while the other
>> requirements are less important.
>> Many thanks.
>
> I wonder how well IBM is supporting linux on their new Thinkpad models?
> With their strong show of support in many areas, perhaps they would be a
> possibility?

Well their support for Thinkpad R31 models sucks. The APM-bios is broken,
the ACPI is broken and does not work without heavy hacking. There is no
documentation available fot the S Video out. Support questions about Linux
are answered with a stereotypical "Not supported OS".

Also you have to buy MS Windows! The hardware itself is very nice and works
fine after some fiddling.

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann mmh@gmx.net wiss. Mitarbeiter, IMGB
        La loi, dans un grand souci d'égalité, interdit aux riches comme aux