Re: usb mouse not recognised in kernel 2.4.22 (continued)

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 12:22:07AM +1000, ben wrote:
> hmm... managed to delete all of my debian laptop emails while mucking
> about with mozilla..!

eh :) look in the web archives if you missed something
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/

> anyway, to continue for those that may be following this thread.
>
> when compiling the kernel should I move/delete the existing modules from
> /lib/modules/2.4.22?

You should use the --append-to-version for make-kpkg or set some
EXTRAVERSION in the kernel Makefile

I have:
# head -n 5 Makefile

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 6
SUBLEVEL = 0
EXTRAVERSION = -test4-2

this creates an /lib/modules/2.6.0-test4-2 allowing to run different
configurations of the same kernel version

# ls /lib/modules
2.4.21-2
2.4.21-3
2.4.21-4
2.6.0-test4-1
2.6.0-test4-2

you can achieve the same by running
make-kpkg --append-to-version '-2' --revision 1 kernel_image

hth
--
mattia
:wq!