Re: ALSA confusion

From: "Emma Jane Hogbin" <emmajane@xtrinsic.com>

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 08:10:32AM +0200, Emil Pedersen wrote:
> > When you built the kernel (your now using), did you build it with
> > make-kpkg  into a deb package or the "easy" way?  I would guess the
> > later and that that is the reason apt-get complains.
>
> Yeah, the easy way.
>
> > Is it a requirement to do it "the debian way"?  I got alsa working not
> > using the packed source without too much trouble (at least as I recall
> > it).  In some cases I find it simpler to "pollute" my system with
> > configure/make/install  rather than using prepackaged source/packages.
>
> I ended up doing the ol' configure make make install and it works fine.
> One of these I should probably figure out how to do things The Debian Way.
> But for now I have (almost) everything I was trying to accomplish. :)

Well, I guess "the easy way" means you don't actually have to remember
anything - we can all do ./configure, make, make install, in our sleep - but
make-kpkg is pretty darn simple, and obviously avoids the problems you've run
into.  So, no, there are no requirements that you use make-kpkg, but it _is_
easier (if you can remember the particular command line - I admit I do it
infrequently enough that I have to use man make-kpkg every time)