ALSA confusion

I thought I had everything almost working, but I didn't. My problem is
that most of the instructions need a .deb for the kernel. I do everything
a la main. So I can make and install a .deb for the alsa drivers (at one
point I actually got a sound file to play on xmms -- although there was no
sound that came out of my computer).

But then whenever I try to use apt-get I get a complaint about the kernel
.deb file missing.

Does anyone know where I could find instructions on stitching things
together?

I've been trying to use this one:
http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=541&page=1
but I have to install the alsa modules with dpkg -i...

thanks!

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin