re: exim config...

> Let me re-phrase the question a little...
>
> I don't mind about how often sendmail retries to flush the queue. That doesn't
> matter. And the queue is never particularly big anyway. But what does often
> happen is that I send an email, while offline, and forget all about actually
> dialing up to send it fully. So it waits in the queue.
>
> If you type 'mailq' then each message in the queue is listed in the form,
>
> message id <sender@address>
> 	recipient-list
>
> If there is any problem with the message, then exim sends a warning message to
> sender@address. I would like to keep sender@address as "andy@localhost", so
> that a warning message (for instance when the message has been on the queue
> far too long) is sent to me directly. However, if sender@address is a local
> address, this causes problems when exim tries to send the message into the big
> wide world, since andy@localhost is an unrouteable address.

I don't know for sure, but maybe it would be enough if you simply could
configure exim not to deliver error messages for at lest 1 or 2 days
(instead of the default 4 hours, I think)...
Thtat youd eventually give you enough time to sedn the mail when you had
eventually change to get connected..

I personally would like to do that:

a) Configure exim to retry every 15 min "forever" (at least a couple of
days)
b) Disable warning/error messages, or at least only report after 2 days.

The reasoning is that I eventually will get connected (I never stay more
than 2-3 days disconnected), and when I connect I'll connect for at least
15 minutes..