re: exim config...

Let me re-phrase the question a little...

I don't mind about how often sendmail retries to flush the queue. That doesn't matter. And the queue is never particularly big anyway. But what does often happen is that I send an email, while offline, and forget all about actually dialing up to send it fully. So it waits in the queue.

If you type 'mailq' then each message in the queue is listed in the form,

message id <sender@address>
	recipient-list

If there is any problem with the message, then exim sends a warning message to sender@address. I would like to keep sender@address as "andy@localhost", so that a warning message (for instance when the message has been on the queue far too long) is sent to me directly. However, if sender@address is a local address, this causes problems when exim tries to send the message into the big wide world, since andy@localhost is an unrouteable address.

I do already use exim's re-writing rules to translate my local address into my proper email address, referring to the /etc/email-addresses file. Flags can be specified with these rules to say exactly which address headers are re-written, and which are left as they are. What is the difference between the "From" header, the "Envelope-from" header, and the "sender" header??? The "reply-to" header doesn't seem to matter too much, at least not until the recipient gets the message. It seems to be the "From" header that determines address that exim uses as the address of the sender. I've tried setting it to re-write only at transport time, but that doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

How do I keep hold of the local address for warning messages, and yet enable the system to successfully send the email once an internet connection is up and running?

Thanks again...

Andy