Re: Q on initial partitions for 30 Gig HD

Hello Mitch,

Am 15:39 2003-03-16 -0500 hat Mitch Maltenfort geschrieben:

>This new laptop will have a 30 Gig HD, and my reading indicates that
>ext2 file systems can run into performance problems on partitions over 6
>Gig.

???
Never I have hd this problems... even on a 60 Gbyte HD

>Brute-force math would suggest I divide into 5 6 Gig partitions, but of
>course 6 Gig is too much for something like /boot, /var, etc.  My current
>computer has 6 Gig and I don't even use all of _that_.
>
>Can anyone advise on a good partitioning choice for a personal workstation
>for word processing and scientific programming?

hda1    pri     /                 200 MB
hda2    pri     swap              100 MB
hda3    pri     /tmp             1000 MB
hda5    log     /usr             3000 MB
hda6    log     /usr/src         5000 MB if you program otherwise 500 MB

hda7    log     /var             1000 MB or bigger if you like to hold
                                         your installed packages and by
                                         using apt-move)

hda8    log     /var/log          200 MB keeps you back from headache

hda9    log     /home           40000 MB

hda10   log     /var/www        10000 MB if you like to have a full i386
                                         Mirror on your Laptop to help
                                         other people to instal Debian
                                         with the speed of the light
                                         using the netinstall

All Filesystem are ext3 while using Kernel >=2.4.19

>Thanks in advance.

Have Fun
Michelle