Re: Help with wireless

> Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 21:27:23 +0100
> From: Jord Swart <jords@gmx.net>
>
> But the reading on Jeans site is also very important. First thing
> you really need to find out is what chipset is on your
> card. tuxmobile.org might help as well here.

A good way to find out what card you have (as opposed to what the
rebadging oirganisation you bought it from saw fit to write on the
case): shove it in the PCMCIA slot, and run "cardctl ident".  That
will give you output that looks like this:

Socket 0:
  product info: "Belkin", "11Mbps-Wireless-Notebook-Network-Adapter"
  manfid: 0x01bf, 0x3302
  function: 6 (network)

Take those two hex numbers called the manfid, and search for those on
google.  They are your card's true identity.  DON'T do what I did and
assume that a Belkin F5D6020u must be more or less the same thing as a
Belkin F5D6020 -- or, worse, that a D-Link DWL-650+ is more or less
the same as a D-Link DWL-650.  In both cases, the cards in each
similarly-named pair are _totally_ different, with different chipsets.

--

	Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com>
	Software Engineer, Index Data UK.