Re: Battery Life

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:
> You may find that it goes from 40% to 1% in a matter of minutes as my
> Thinkpads do when their battery's are over a year old.

I've noticed my aging laptop (an 18-month-old Dell Latitude C600)
doing something similar: on battery, the reported charge drops pretty
steadily from 100% to 60% or so, then dives over the next few minutes
to 8%.  But it usually runs for about another 20 minutes once it gets
there, hovering for 6-8 minutes at 4%.

> To get accurate battery estimates you need to monitor the life of
> the battery as it fully discharges.  I think that the software on
> some handheld devices does this, but APM on Linux doesn't.

I run 'watch ibam -a' in an xterm; ibam seems to get a pretty good
idea of what the actual battery life is if you run it long enough.

	-- Abra Mitchell