Re: Battery Life

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 01:50, Tim Wood wrote:
> I have a 4 year old Gateway 5150. It runs on the mains most of the time.
> I leave the battery in all the time.
>
> Yesterday, as a check against what has been said on this list, I ran it
> for 50 min. It went from 100% down to 50%.

You may find that it goes from 40% to 1% in a matter of minutes as my
Thinkpads do when their battery's are over a year old.

To get accurate battery estimates you need to monitor the life of the battery
as it fully discharges.  I think that the software on some handheld devices
does this, but APM on Linux doesn't.

> I was using a PC card modem, network card and made use of the cdrom. The
> cpu runs at 100%, as I have run Setiathome for over 3 years 24/7. The
> drive runs continuously too.
>
> Must have hit a good Li-Ion :)

That's a very good performance!  CD-ROM and CPU usage take a lot of power.  I
can reduce the usable time of my laptop by a factor of 50 by having a CPU
intensive process running!