Reading temperature

Hi.
I've looked for a way to read my system temperature, and I'm quite confused:
It seems that the package used is lm-sensors, but it also seems that is
made for the usual desktop motherboards...

I have a Asus L3C (L3000C) and it has, at least a cpu monitor (that I can
see at Windows with Asus utilities). How can I check the temp under Linux,
if not with lm-sensons? The auto-probe didn't detect any PCI bus adapters,
or ISA ones... Well, I think that should be normal as laptops are somewhat
different from desktops..

On other hand, maybe there is need to have a patched kernel for this to
work? I'm using the standart 2.4.18-bf2.4