Re: Battery life recovery

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 12:57, David Emerson wrote:
> I'm no expert here, but from what I can tell by reading the last week's posts,
>
> FULL DRAINS ARE BAD FOR LI-ION

Right.

> I'd say that's your main problem, and since you're now draining it to 4%,
> it sounds like your battery might start degrading more rapidly. (I have no
> idea about the truth of that latter statement)

Probably. However, having a laptop you don't use because you're afraid
your battery will drain too fast is... well, stupid.

That is, yes, draining it to 4% is worse than draining it to 20% which
is worse than never using it (which is in turn worse than leaving it at
40% and never using it). On the other hand, if you're doing work that
needs 96% of your battery power, do it. I mean, they exist to be used.

What I'm sick of is people suggesting a full cycle to restore dead or
near dead Li batteries. They just make it worse.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>