Re: 3com network card, trouble w pcmcia-modules

At 02:51 AM 2/10/03, mi wrote:
>Good mornig,  David !
>
>Hope you've had a good night.  ;-)
>
>> lsmod now includes:
>>
>> 3c589_cs                8544   0  (unused)
>> ds                      6400   0  [3c589_cs]
>> i82365                 22672   2
>> pcmcia_core            45824   0  [3c589_cs ds i82365]
>Why do you have 2 modules for the same card ?
>One from the kernel source...i suppose you need the pcmcia-cs one.
>i82365 is a modular pcmcia-cs socket driver from this package ?

If I read correctly, according to PCMCIA-HOWTO, this is correct - I do need all of these.

>> and modprobe is successful.
>In /etc/modutils/ether, try to define alias eth0 3c589_cs
>(don't forget update-modules afterw.)

No such file exists /etc/modutils/ether

If:
>/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
>gives you an ident it's porobably a coldplug problem.
>Or just try eject and insert again.

pcmcia restart successfully shuts down and restarts cardmgr, but the
daemon.log shows that cardmgr can't open the config file because it
doesn't exist (See below)

>> I have no /var/lib/pcmcia directory, thus couldn't check the stab.
>Look into /var/run

Directory doesn't exist /var/run/pcmcia

>> From /var/log/messages :
>>
>> Feb  9 22:51:40 lakshmi kernel: cs: warning: no high memory space
>> available!
>> Feb  9 22:51:40 lakshmi kernel: cs: unable to map card memory!
>> Feb  9 22:51:40 lakshmi kernel: cs: unable to map card memory!

Got a good response elsewhere to this one:
> But the high memory complaint may be fixed by adding
> port 0x1000-0x1fff
> to the line "include port..." in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts

But I don't have /etc/pcmcia/config.opts - and I guess config.opts is old-fashioned, anyways, according to pcmcia-howto.

>Wild guess: On bootup the card is identified as memory card ?
>Is /etc/pcmcia/config sourced at all ?

No, not identified as a memory card - not identified at all.

However, /etc/pcmcia/config MUST be sourced, because during bootup, cardmgr gives the message "could not open 'config': No such file or directory

But I also don't know what file to edit that modifies bootup sequences.

But since it can't open up config, I don't think it's even trying to
identify the card. On my very first linux bootup a couple days ago, it
correctly identified it as a 3com 589ec network card, but it hasn't ever
done that again since first bootup.

First boot:

Feb  7 17:08:15 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: starting, version is 3.1.33
Feb  7 17:08:15 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: watching 2 sockets
Feb  7 17:08:15 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: socket 1: 3Com 589 Ethernet
Feb  7 17:08:15 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: executing: 'modprobe 3c589_cs'
Feb  7 17:08:16 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: executing: './network start eth0'
Feb  7 17:08:16 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: + Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.

But then after the first boot everything fell apart I don't know why. modprobe 3c589_cs failed, and it appeared that the package that includes modprobe was no longer there. You can check the archives for my first message sent saturday at 1:29PM +0800

If I insert or eject the card, no beeping sounds happen - but my current situation isn't addressed well by the pcmcia-howto troubleshooting

>Is there a /etc/pcmcia/config ?

No. It seems like the pcmcia-modules wasn't installed correctly but... I don't really know how to check. When I installed the package it sure looked alright, and I'm definitely further along than I was before, but also definitely not workin' yet!

>micha.

Thanks Micha :)
-David