Re: 3com network card, trouble w pcmcia-modules

Hello David.
Now i try to help you but remind I didn't have just started the work here you
are doing there. I have to find out things as well,  and cannot provide more
than some ideas how to track it down.

> 3c589_cs                8544   0  (unused)
> ds                      6400   0  [3c589_cs]
> i82365                 22672   2
> pcmcia_core            45824   0  [3c589_cs ds i82365]

> If I read correctly, according to PCMCIA-HOWTO, this is correct - I do need
> all of these.

I see.
What's ds ?

> >In /etc/modutils/ether, try to define alias eth0 3c589_cs
> >(don't forget update-modules afterw.)
>
> No such file exists /etc/modutils/ether
ok
Anyway, it's probably not the main point now.
(But for setting up your eth0 later, you just can create this file, and put
any options for the module there.)
But let's put off all network configuration ( ifconfig stuff ) for now.
Focus is how to get your card detected by the kernel / modul.

> pcmcia restart successfully shuts down and restarts cardmgr, but the
> daemon.log shows that cardmgr can't open the config file because it
> doesn't exist (See below)
> >> I have no /var/lib/pcmcia directory, thus couldn't check the stab.
> >
> >Look into /var/run
>
> Directory doesn't exist /var/run/pcmcia

;-)

I meant the file /var/run/stab

> However, /etc/pcmcia/config MUST be sourced, because during bootup, cardmgr
> gives the message "could not open 'config': No such file or directory
> But I also don't know what file to edit that modifies bootup sequences.
> But since it can't open up config, I don't think it's even trying to
> identify the card. On my very first linux bootup a couple days ago, it
> correctly identified it as a 3com 589ec network card, but it hasn't ever
> done that again since first bootup.
We should find out what has changed then.

> First boot:
>
> Feb  7 17:08:15 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: starting, version is 3.1.33
> Feb  7 17:08:15 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: watching 2 sockets
> Feb  7 17:08:15 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: socket 1: 3Com 589 Ethernet
> Feb  7 17:08:15 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: executing: 'modprobe 3c589_cs'
> Feb  7 17:08:16 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: executing: './network start eth0'
> Feb  7 17:08:16 lakshmi cardmgr[176]: + Ignoring unknown interface
> eth0=eth0.
>
> But then after the first boot everything fell apart I don't know why.
> modprobe 3c589_cs failed, and it appeared that the package that includes
> modprobe was no longer there.

> You can check the archives for my first
> message sent saturday at 1:29PM +0800
ok
just did it
whoo, you tried to track it hard.
Let's see. We'll find it out, somehow.

>>> So I downloaded a newer kernel image (testing #5 and another
>>> pcmcia-modules testing #5 package to match, as opposed to the unstable #6

Why testing ? I thought you're running stable woody ?
Please check your /etc/apt/sources.list. Maybe it's out of date.
My woody apt tells me 'pcmcia-modules-2.2.20' are compiled for 'kernel-image
2.2.20-5'.

To be sure about the kernel, you can lookup "less  /usr/src/linux/.config"
(I don't know if you're familiar with shell commands)
and use "/" to search for keywords like
PCMCIA (and look for CONFIG_PCMCIA_3c589)
CARDBUS

To post the above, type "grep 'xxx' /usr/src/linux/.config > outputfile.txt"
replacing xxx with the keyword.
btw directory linux might not exist, it's a standard symbolic link to
directory kernel-source-2.2.20, in your case.

> If I insert or eject the card, no beeping sounds happen - but my current
> situation isn't addressed well by the pcmcia-howto troubleshooting
>
> >Is there a /etc/pcmcia/config ?
>
> No. It seems like the pcmcia-modules wasn't installed correctly but... I

There it is.
What says 'dpkg -L pcmcia-cs' and the same for 'pcmcia-modules' ?
Also try 'dpkg -s pcmcia-modules' and 'dpkg -C' and
'dpkg-reconfigure pcmcia-modules'

Now back to repair my own system ;-)

--
micha.