Re: make-kpkg, was: Getting PCMCIA to work?

Saturday 08 February 2003, alle 11:48, Ivar Alm:
: At 08:53 2003-02-08, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
: >>>"Mike" == Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> writes:
: >
: > > Well, it didn't work when I did it the make-kpkg way (I believe I was
: > > following the direction on the WIRELESS-LAN-HOWTO). Doing it the
: > standard
: > > Linux way (aka "the hard way") works every time, and on every Linux
: >distro.
: >
: >        I don't know what the WIRELESS-LAN-HOWTO says, but, for the
: > record, I also make my own kernel images and pcmcia modules, and it
: > works every time, for the only Linux distribution I really care
: > about.
: >
: >        manoj
:
: For the record, I made my kernels the "Linux way" before, but as I got
: acquainted with make-kpkg, I stick to it. The only modification I need is
: that after the installation of created kernel package, I need to modify
: some link names in the root dir. Since I have more than one kernel
: installed, I cannot have them all named 'vmlinuz'... :)
:
: It is so convenient to have a .deb package to install...

In my opinion it is really convenient. Using the Debian way is more
clear and dpkg can trace all the modification of your system.
I used the Linux way for about 7 years but now that I use the Debian way
I think its better.

Stefano

--
Stefano Canepa e-mail: sc@linux.it
To follow the path: look at the master, follow the master, walk with the