Re: Getting PCMCIA to work?

Brian Kendig (brian@enchanter.net) had this to say on 02/07/03 at 14:42:
> Mike Leone wrote:
> >yenta_socket is the name of the kernel-level PCMCIA driver.
>
> What's 'yenta' mean, by the way?  Is it the name of one of the chips?
> Just curious...

I know the word "yenta" as a slang term. A yenta is a know-it-all,
someone who talks a lot, and butts into other's business. I have no idea if
the 2 are related. :-)

> >If you do not use the built-in kernel PCMCIA drivers, but instead use
> >the full stand-alone PCMCIA-CS package, there is no yenta-socket; you
> >must specifiy i82365.
>

> The Debian pcmcia-modules package depends on the pcmcia-cs package...
> does installing pcmcia-modules remove the i82365 support?  I'm just not
> clear on the relationship between the two packages.

I download the source for the pcmcia-cs package. I don't use the
pcmcia-modules package. I always recompile my own kernels, and by hand (not
that make-kpkg stuff).