Re: wireless network problems

Hi Nate, Andy, and other debian-laptop users,

I reinstalled debian woody this weekend (I turned off encryption on the RG-1000 before installation) and during installation my orinoco gold card lit up, and I got a message during the network configuration stage of the installation that my network had been successfully set up. The card lights up when I boot, and stays lit up when I log into gnome, but I can't connect to the internet when I run galeon or any other internet application. When I run iwconfig eth1, the correct essid and nickname are displayed. I've edited /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts with what I believe are the correct values (after deleting the specified four lines as instructed in that file to activate the wireless schemes). The values I've entered are:
ESSID =  "1ecb13" (network name required by the RG-1000)
MODE = "Managed"
RATE = "11M"
CHANNEL = "10"
For now I've commented out the encryption key setting, since I've turned encryption off.

I've been hammering at this off and on for a few weeks, and am starting to think that maybe debian is a bit advanced for me, and that I should try a commercial distro.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tim