Re: 2.6.0 & PCMCIA

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:10, "Bruce" <bestb@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Issue: HP Pavillion 5425 1Ghz laptop. Recently downloaded & compiled
> custom 2.6.0 kernel from www.kernel.org sources. Everything working 32EW
> cards are (strangely) loaded, but nothing happening on any of the cards.
> For the record: SMC 2632W Prism2 wireless network card, and a Pyro 1394
> firewire card. Both worked well in 2.4.x kernels.
>
> From what I can gather, there has been a major move of where pcmcia stuff
> happens from my previous (2.4.22) kernel. Unfortunately, I haven't been
> able to find anything telling me _what_ this move requires/entails beyond
> the following cryptic information in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes:

When building the kernel-image package you have to select PCMCIA support, and
not build (or at least not install) the package that comes from
pcmcia-source.

One thing to note about the PCMCIA code in the kernel is that some of the
kernel modules change names so you will have to change the pcmcia-cs
configuration.  It may be easiest to install a 2.4.23 kernel with the kernel
pcmcia drivers first, and then move to 2.6.0.  When I moved from 2.4.23 with
kernel PCMCIA drivers to 2.6.0 I didn't need to make any configuration
changes, 2.4.23 with the kernel drivers seems to be the same as 2.6.0 in all
ways that count.