Brand new kernel 2.4.23 freezes my laptop

Hello,

I decided to compile my own 2.4.23 kernel for my Gericom Webshox (Pentium4, SiS 5513, SiS 650 video, SiS 900 Fast ethernet, SiS 7012 Audio). I've downloaded the sources from www.kernel.org and I followed instructions at http://people.via.ecp.fr/~alexis/formation-linux/config-noyau.html
(in french).

1st try : I actived AGP for SiS generic, and DRM for SiS. My kernel compiles well, but the modules stop because there's a problem with the Direct Rendering Manager.

2nd try : I disabled DRM in the kernel. Everything compiles, I put my knew kernel and run lilo. I reboot and choose "Linux" when Lilo prompts, I read Loading Linux and a few dots, then my screen swaps resolution and stays black. Two LEDs on my laptop are getting ON and OFF, and I hear the ventilator shouting... One way : power-off...

3st try : I replace "vga=791" with "vga=normal" in my lilo.conf, run lilo, reboot... Same thing, except that the screen doesn't change resolution...

I acknoledge I desactivated the ext3 support in my kernel, because my linux partition is ext2. But I didn't see any option in the make menuconfig for the ext2 filesystem, I supposed it was included automaticaly.

Have a clue ?