Re: Linksys WPC55AG & Toshiba A15-S127

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 19:40, Peter Bonucci wrote:
> I'm trying to install a Linksys WPC55AG 802.11a/g wireless card (PCMCIA/
> CardBus) into a Toshiba A15-S127 running Debian Unstable.
>
> The linux-wlan-ng web page says their driver will work with this card and I
> followed the directions in README.Debian.  When I try ifup I get the
> following:
>
> wlanctl-ng: No such device
> Failed to enable the device, exitcode= 1 .
> run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng-pre-up exited with return
> code 1
> wlanctl-ng: No such device
> Failed to enable the device, exitcode= 1 .
> run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng_pre-up exited with return
> code 1
> Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
>     SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
> run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools exited with return code 251
> Operation failed.
>
> The relevent parts of lsmod seem to be:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> prism2_cs              60212   0 (autoclean) (unused)
> p80211                 15848   0 [prism2_cs]
> ds                      6472   1 [prism2_cs]
> yenta_socket            9120   1
> pcmcia_core            39456   0 [prism2_cs ds yenta_socket]
>
> When I run modprobe, it accepts that wlan0 exists, but wlanctl-ng doesn't
> believe it.  While the comments in linux-wlan-ng-pre-up say that modprobe
> could be used in place of wlanctl-ng for the first error, when I do that,
> other errors show up.
>
> What am I missing?  It seems like I'm just one step from getting this to work.
>
> Peter A. Bonucci

I had this card for a couple of weeks about 2 months ago and I had it
working almost perfectly using the madwifi drivers. You can find more
info at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/

The homepage is dead, but the project itself is still quite active. The
best documentation would be to read the list archives on the above site.
They have lots of info that might not be readily available otherwise.
I'd strongly suggest building the drivers from CVS as the last official
release was in August and development is actually very rapid on the
drivers. Good luck.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837