TuxMobil News 11/2003

    Hello,

    this month's TuxMobil News digest[1] has again good news for Linux PDA, mobile
    phone and laptop users. I have put an extract of the most important
    messages at the top of this letter.

    Werner Heuser <wehe_at_tuxmobil.org>

|=| SHARP continues their Linux PDA series. Their new Zaurus SL-C860 ships
    November 27th for the Japanese market[2]. The SL-6000 was announced for early
    in 2004[3]. OPIE 1.0.3[4] and OpenZaurus 3.3.5[5] were released. See also
    the first issue of the OpenZaurus Newsletter[6]. Finally FreshMeat
    has become aware of the changes in the PDA market and
    renamed the "Palm" Section To "Handhelds"[7].

|=| Some vendors refuse to release specs or even a binary Linux driver for their
    WLAN cards.  ndiswrapper[8] by Pontus Fuchs tries to solve this by making a
    kernel module that can load Microsoft-Windows NDIS drivers. Currently only
    BroadCom chips are supported. In the meanwhile Linuxant has made a commercial
    end-user license[9] available for DriverLoader. This driver uses a similar
    approach, but supports some more chipsets, including the WLAN chip comming
    with Intel's Centrino[tm] technology[10].

    Werner

    [1] http://tuxmobil.org/mobile_news_2003_11.html
    [2] http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS3852086383.html
    [3] http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6804055064.html
    [4] http://opie.handhelds.org/
    [5] http://openzaurus.org/
    [6] http://openzaurus.org/newsletters/2003.12/
    [7] http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1030/
    [8] http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
    [9] http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/
    [10] http://tuxmobil.org/centrino.html

You may find the daily TuxMobil News RSS/XML channel, the archiv and
a news submission form at http://tuxmobil.org/newsfeed.html

--
|=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
|=| <wehe at tuxmobil.org>     T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86