Linksys WPC55AG & Toshiba A15-S127

I'm trying to install a Linksys WPC55AG 802.11a/g wireless card (PCMCIA/
CardBus) into a Toshiba A15-S127 running Debian Unstable.

The linux-wlan-ng web page says their driver will work with this card and I
followed the directions in README.Debian.  When I try ifup I get the
following:

wlanctl-ng: No such device
Failed to enable the device, exitcode= 1 .
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng-pre-up exited with return
code 1
wlanctl-ng: No such device
Failed to enable the device, exitcode= 1 .
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng_pre-up exited with return
code 1
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools exited with return code 251
Operation failed.

The relevent parts of lsmod seem to be:

prism2_cs              60212   0 (autoclean) (unused)
p80211                 15848   0 [prism2_cs]
ds                      6472   1 [prism2_cs]
yenta_socket            9120   1
pcmcia_core            39456   0 [prism2_cs ds yenta_socket]

When I run modprobe, it accepts that wlan0 exists, but wlanctl-ng doesn't
believe it.  While the comments in linux-wlan-ng-pre-up say that modprobe
could be used in place of wlanctl-ng for the first error, when I do that,
other errors show up.

What am I missing?  It seems like I'm just one step from getting this to work.

Peter A. Bonucci