Re: Debian on a 486sx thru PCMCIA NIC

What about to look at <http://www.ebay.com/> for a memory card ?

>get it off the network (either from a local PC or the Internet) thru a
>3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA card (3c589).
>What version should I use and HOW?

It works quier well with SLINK ! And if the Base is installed,
update to POTATO. WOODY is Overkill, even if I have a T1950CT
(486/50) with 20 MByte of memory.

>I tried Debian woody/compact and it hangs right after
>reading the root floppy fisk. I am speculating that kernel version
>does not get along with a 486sx processor which has no math coprocessor.

bf24 ???
Please read the Bugreport about syslinux...
loadlin has a Kernel 2.4.x Bug too, but it is solved now...

>With Debian-2.2/compact the installer starts fine but I can't get
>the drivers disk to work--it says the file system type cannot be
>detected, on both the target machine and my other Linux PC.
>So I tried downloading drivers.tgz, unpacking the {3c589_cs.o, ds.o,
>pcmcia_core.o} files from pcmcia.tgz
>and copying them to a /boot directory on a clean floppy.

Better Idea:

If you have a running system use dd to split the drivers tgz in
smaler parts which fit on Floppys.

Then get the Win95-Bootdisk ad delete all what is not necesaryly
to fdisk and format your HD. Copy RAWREAD.EXE and LOADLIN.EXE to
the Floppy.

Now Create a FAT-Partition of minimum 12 MB on it and make it
bootabel and copy RAWRITE.EXE na LOADLIN.EXE to the Harddisk.

If done, reboot your Laptop without Floppy.

NOW copy the Splitted drivers.tgz to the Disk and use

COPY /B drivers.1+drivers.2+drivers.3+drivers.4+drivers.5 drivers.tgz

to restore the drivers.tgz. Delete the partial drivers.?.

Use RAWREAD.EXE to read the rescue- and root-Floppy to HD.

Now use LOADLIN.EXE to start the installation...
Normaly your PCMCIA-Controler is detected and you can install
the base.tgz|basedebs.tar via network.

Please note, that the DOS can be deleted after Installation is complet.

>Any hint would be greatly appreciated! ;-)
>Thanks,
>Gerlando

Greetings
Michelle

P.S.:	I am running a Toshiba T1950CT with 4 MB intern and 16 MB
	memory Card with a 3c589D Combo and a US-Robotics WorldPort
	V.34 with xserver-xfree86 and fvwm2 without any problems.

	But installation was made with only 12 MByter opf memory in
	around 52 Hours... (incl. OpenSSH, gnupg, mutt, lynx, wget...)

--
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.