Re: amd athon-xp mobile and acpi

hi Paulo.
I think I got a good solution to this problem.
Now my notebook almost always runs at 33 C.

First of all, check whether /proc/cpufreq is present.
Otherwise, make sure you enabled cpufreq, powernow-k7, frequency tables,
userspace governors, and /proc interface support
in the kernel. (roughly all CONFIG_* variables defined by the patch,
except support for extraneous architectures like speedstep or longrun.)
I suggest compiling them and ACPI as part of the kernel, instead of modules,
as well as enabling ACPI verbose diagnostics, and toggling "ACPI off by default"
to false. Then on reboot (possibly after loading modules) you should see
/proc/cpufreq. If you don't succeed, I will send you my kernel config.

Try cat /proc/cpufreq. You should see something like
   XXX 0% YYY 100% performance
meaning your processor frequency range is XXX--YYY, and the clock is
statically set to the topmost value. (as you can check with cat /proc/cpuinfo)

Then try to set the speed to the bottom value:
  echo 0% 100% powersave > /proc/cpufreq
Again, check the result with cat /proc/cpufreq
On my laptop, this make 'acpi -V' always report 33-35C, except when
room temperature is very high.

You can also make finer adjustments, such as
echo 0% 60% performance > /proc/cpufreq.

The cpufreqd and cpudyn packages in testing/sarge can
do all this for you, and are reasonably easy to configure.
Avoid running both at the same time. ;-)

Regards.

Paulo Lopes wrote:
Hi,

I've a amd athon-xp mobile laptop (it's a fujitsu-siements amilo A7600) and i've been compiling the kernel for it but i can't get throttling states enabled. I wan't to slow down the cpu in order to cool down the processor (and my legs :-). I've been using kernel 2.4.22 from www.kernel.org and acpi patch for 2.4.22 from acpi.sourceforge.net it's the 2003-10-03 version. Does ACPI processor module support AMD processores? or is it only for Intel? ACPI seems to work because it is used to shutdown this laptop, i couldn't shut it down with APM.

Is there any special patch or (patches) for AMD processors?

Thanks,
Paulo