Re: Debian Users...

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Jan T. Kim wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:35:23PM -0800, Larry Colen wrote:
>
> > I've been using fvwm for years. Now I'm running fvwm2. It has some
> > features I really like and haven't seen easily in other desktops. Also
> > the last time I tried another desktop it was so freaking slow, I
> > couldn't stand it.
>
> I use fvwm2 too. Among the things I like about it is the fact that when
> I get an account on a Linux box, I just have to copy my ~/.fvwm2rc file
> into my new home directory, instead of messing around for an evening or so
> with some "Control Center" or comparable thing in order to try and set up
> my environment.

Someone recently had an article about putting their home directory in CVS.
I'm not quite that fool hardy, but all my pertinent dotfiles are in CVS,
including my ~/.fvwm/.fvwmrc.in (which is very naively transformed to
~/.fvwm/.fvwmrc at login, and whenever I wish to restart fvwm to effect
config changes.

> Another thing which irritates me a lot is that an increasing amount
> of applications fails to handle the standard X options properly, and
> apparently does not properly communicate with the window manager properly
> either. For example, acroread just disregards any -geometry option,
> and it took me a lot of experimentation to finally figure out a special
> setup for the AcroRead class in my .fvwm2rc in which the full screen
> view (which I needed for presentation purposes) works properly.
>
> Is there any initiative of the Debian user community in which petitions
> to software providers, asking them to adhere to the pertinent standards,
> can be signed? I would gladly participate...

I have submitted my share of bug reports. Mainly to small WindowMaker
widgets that I would like to have positioned on the screen using
-geometry. I don't have the specific bug numbers handy, but none of them
have been acknowledged. wmcliphist doesn't even work when it's put into
FvwmButtons - it never registers any mouse-clicks.

(useful tip for FvwmButtons users - have a 12x2 sized buttons, with the
left half taken up by actual buttons, and the right half taken up by
something like:
Exec env SMALLPROMPT=yes xterm -name consolexterm -ls -bg darkblue -fg coral -geometry -1500-1500 -wf

In my .bash_profile file, if SMALLPROMPT is set, I do less fancy settings
of my PS1, so less xterm real-estate is taken up by prompts.

The different colours of the xterm, and the fact that it remains on the
screen all the time, independant of which virtual page you are on, makes
it very useful for doing small things like calculations. Screenshot here:
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/screenshot3.png
)

A new verb was accidently created during a discussion about KDE 3 and Debian.
It was said that KDE 3 will sid soon. -- Debian Weekly News Jan 14,2003